Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Cookin Kinda Weekend

Kevin has been out of town the past few days speaking at a youth retreat, so it's just been me and Kate... and my sister and my mom.  Another girl's weekend!

Kristi said she wasn't getting enough Kate time so she decided she was going to stay with us Thursday and Friday night.  Her busy season at work is just gearing up (like mine) so we'll probably not see very much of her over the next few months.  THEN my mom decided that she wanted to come up on Friday also!  She got to my house around 1:30ish and I was able to leave work early too.  We cleaned the house from top to bottom, and then ran some errands at Target and swung by the grocery store.

One of my goals before busy season starts is to make a few (or a lot) of meals that can be put in the freezer so that when I'm working longer hours, dinner is already "ready".  I started off making 4 batches of roast/carrots/potatoes in gallon sized bags.  I'll freeze these, and then when we decide we are ready to eat them we'll just pull them out, let them thaw out for about 30 min and then stick them in the crock pot.  They're ready to go!  This was basically the first time that I've done this but I love it already.  It really didn't take any longer doing FOUR than it would normally take to get one ready.



I've got a couple of other recipes for freezer crockpot meals, and I've already bought all of the ingredients.  I'm hoping to get some of those knocked out today.  Then, I'm going to try to make a few casseroles to freeze.  Ambitious, I know.  Probably won't all happen.

Kevin got home around 11ish last night and slept in this morning.  Kristi had to go to work, and my mom had to go home, but we did cook french toast for breakfast and I showed them how to make this breakfast item...


They're so good.  Not really sure what you call them, but they're like sticky buns.  It's yet another recipe that I got from Pinterest and it's super easy.  Here's how you make it...

Ingredients:

2 small tubes refrigerator buttermilk biscuits (I just use the Ingles brand)
3 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted
1/2 C. pancake syrup
1/3 C. packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 C. chopped pecans, optional
1/4 C. chopped almonds, optional


1. Spray a fluted pan with non-stick spray. Combine the melted butter and syrup in a small bowl and set aside. In another bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts (if desired).


2. Place about half of the syrup mixture in the bottom of the pan. Then sprinkle half of the brown sugar mixture on top.


3. Lay the biscuits on the bottom of the pan, overlapping edges (closely together) to form a ring.


4. Pour the other half of the syrup mixture on top of the biscuits and sprinkle with the remaining brown sugar mixture.  This is how mine looked right before I put it in the oven.  And of course I had to get my little helper in the picture!





5.  Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes. 


6. Remove from oven.  Here is what mine looked like right out of the oven.



7. Let it stand for about a minute and then flip it over onto a plate.  Enjoy!


And I had to get in one more picture of my little helper.  She had just woken up.  Look at that morning hair! :) 



Happy weekend, everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you- new friends or old!

tmb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow on Bloglovin
Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

tmb banner





 




 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2014 • All Rights Reserved