Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Chores for Toddlers

This past Sunday, Kevin brought the message at church.  He is going through a series on parenting, and the lessons are 10 things that every parent should teach their children.  They relate to everyone (even non-parents) because they are things that we all need to practice.

This week's lesson was that parents should teach their children to WORK HARD.   We've always said that our kids were going to have chores, and were going to contribute to our household. It really got me thinking though because I haven't purposefully tried to find things for Kate to "help" with yet. She doesn't have any real chores, but she's ONE.  I mean really, what can she do?

Well I started making a list of things that I've had her help with, and I want to be more mindful about being consistent with letting her help with stuff.  Never too early to start good habits, right? Here is the list of things that I've been letting Kate "help" with.

1.  After I get her dressed, I ask her to put her dirty clothes in her hamper.
2.  I'll ask her to go throw her trash in the trash can.
3.  She helps me put clothes from the washing machine into the dryer.
4.  This one is just funny, but she loves to push the vacuum, broom, mop, etc.  So of course we encourage it.


Of course, this really means that it takes me 10 times longer to do ANY of these things, but isn't that part of being a parent?  Teaching your children to do things for themselves.

So, what do you let your little kids do?


Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth.  He who gathers 
crops in summer is a prudent son, but he who sleeps during harvest is a disgraceful son.


Proverbs 10:4-5  


1 comment:

  1. I love this! We encourage X to be as helpful as possible. He is a bit older than Kate (he is 2), so he can do a bit more now. We started doing the exact same things as you, the clothes to the hamper, throwing away garbage, etc. We then moved to having him "help" pick up his toys, now its his job to do it himself, though we are there directing and helping when he needs it. We also let him "help" cook - which basically means that we let him wash anything and everything - kid LOVES the water, then we let him stir things or pour from a small cup into a bowl, etc. He loves it and it gives us time to spend with him while getting things done (though you are 100% correct, everything takes at least twice as long!)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you- new friends or old!

tmb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow on Bloglovin
Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

tmb banner





 




 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2014 • All Rights Reserved