Thursday, April 4, 2013

Favorite Children's Books

It's no secret that I am a reader.  One of the best gifts I've ever given myself was my Nook quite a few years ago.  I have no idea how many books are on that thing, but there are a lot.  :)  Now, I end up reading on my iPad or on my phone using the Barnes and Noble app. With as much as I love reading, I really hope that Kate loves it just as much.

We started reading to her at a very young age, and it surprised me that at 6, 7 and 8 months, she would just sit and listen, or even flip through board books herself.



Before she could talk, books were one of the few things that would keep her entertained in the car on long trips.  Not sure if it would work NOW because she is so into music, and talking, but we will definitely be packing some books on the next long trip just in case.


Life has been so hectic lately, that we haven't had a whole lot of time to just sit and read together before bedtime, but that is one of my favorite things to do with Kate.  She is such a wiggly, on-the-go kid, that this is one of the only times she will sit still and I can just hold her!  




We have quite a few favorite books, but here are just a couple of our favorites.  The first, is That's Not My Fairy... by Fiona Watt.  Each page has a different part of the fairy that your child can touch (her wand, shoes, hair, wings, etc).  It's one of Kate's favorites. Maybe because it's pink! :)


This next book might be MY personal favorite, although Kate seems to like it too- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.  I remember reading this book over and over when I was growing up, and I've enjoyed sharing it with Kate. I'm sure one day Kate will be reading it to me, instead of the other way around. We also have Brown Bear by Eric Carle and love that one too. 

We have quite a few Sandra Boynton books, but these seem to be the two that Kate pulls out the most often- Moo, Baa, La La La! and Doggies.  


Our all-time favorite, and the one we read together the most, is Kate's Bible.  We have The Beginner's Bible for Toddlers, and this was actually a gift from Kate's birth mother.  She gave it to us the day that we met Kate in the hospital. So sweet! It's a great beginner's Bible, and really on Kate's level.  We've read this together a LOT and she knows to call it her Bible.  She loves to point to the Earth, and will either call it a "ball" or will say "whole world".  I can't wait until she can point to Adam and Eve, Noah, David and Goliath, Daniel, and Jesus and call them by name, or better yet, repeat their stories. 


So those are OUR favorites, and I'm sure we will add many more to the list with time.  What books do your kids enjoy?  Is there anything we're missing out on?

3 comments:

  1. Some gave us "Is your Mama a Llama", and I LOVE it! :) Thanks for these other suggestions. We are just getting into reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brylee LOVES the Llama Llama series. I'm not sure why, but she thinks they're great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to get Axle a Beginners Bible for awhile now. He's 2 and I think it's a great age to start teaching him.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you- new friends or old!

tmb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow on Bloglovin
Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

tmb banner





 




 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2014 • All Rights Reserved